July 20, 2010

My head is spinning

Ever since I was a little girl I have been mesmerized by women using spinning wheels. They are so elegant and have such a rich history. I have never spun my own yarn, but I am confident enough to give it a try.

Being a starving college student, it goes without saying, that I cannot really afford to purchase a spinning wheel right now. I came up with some alternatives to start spinning. First I am going to try my hand (literally) at the drop spindle. I've done my research and purchase a Louet top whorl spindle kit for beginners. I also purchased some extra wool    roving in a lovely fuschia color to experiment with as well.

The funny thing is, I mentioned my idea for spinning my own yarn and my lack of money to purchase a wheel on my Facebook page. Next thing I know, my step-dad is offering to build me my own wheel! Honestly, I couldn't believe it. Don't get me wrong, he is a nice guy. I get along with him better now that I'm not living with my mother and him. We had some misunderstandings when he entered our (mine and my mother's) lives when I was in high school. Now we are cool, and I am very appreciative of his thoughtfulness and I'm very happy that he would offer to make me something like that.

That being said, I am very excited to be starting some spinning, whether it be by hand or on a wheel. New adventures!

Also, I got to see my mom this weekend. She lives in Oregon and I live in California, so we don't see each other as much as I know we would like to. My boyfriend and I took a day trip to meet her at my grandma's hospital. I got to give them their late birthday presents and it went really well. Both of them are doing really good and it felt really good to spend time with them.

Saturday night I saw Inception with my boyfriend and close friend. I highly recommend the movie. I found it very interesting and visually stimulating and very well acted.

That's all for now. Good Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment